Home > Personal Life, Support, Technology > Fixed: LN-S4095DX Overscan

Fixed: LN-S4095DX Overscan

I had a problem with my Samsung LN-S4095DX cutting off the edges of the image and was able to fix it with a firmware update.

I have had this edge-cut-off problem ever since I bought my TV.  I really didn’t notice the problem when viewing my Tivo; most channels do not to put important visual information on the edges of the image.  However, I had a difficult time using my Mac or PC with the TV as a display because the menus were always getting cut off.  Both computers were sending out a 1920 x 1080 resolution image via an HDMI.  My TV supports 1080P.

I have searched through my TV’s menus and manual on many occasions; unable to find a solution that would enable “pixel per pixel” or “Just Scan” image display functionality.   I searched the internet on multiple occasions, also unable to find a solution.  A few days ago, in desperation, I called Samsung support.  I told them about my edge problems, and they claimed my TV is set correctly, and the image coming from my PC and Mac were either incompatible or not correct.  The Samsung support supervisor even claimed a 40″ 1080P TV has fewer pixels than a 50″ 1080P TV and told me I should lower my computers output resolution.

The geek inside me knew Samsung’s information was far from the truth.

I went back to the internet and searched for another hour.  I found something that instructed me to disable the “Overscan” feature on my Mac.  I tried that solution; the image on the TV reduced in size, and I was able to see all of the menus.  However, the image being displayed was at a much lower resolution then the TV should be able to handle, and there were now black bars on the sides of the image.  This solution was not acceptable.

Finally, I came across some postings referring to a new firmware update for my TV.  I found the update files on a server somewhere on the Internet, thanks to Google.  I downloaded the firmware (usb_MOS2AUS0_1026.exe), used my PC to extract the files and put it on a USB drive, and upgraded my TV’s firmware. See below for the exact process.

I turned my TV on, pushed the blue P.Size button on my remote, and YES! the “Just Scan” feature was now present!  The picture looked perfect!  Problem solved.  I have no idea why Samsung did not enable this in the first generation of firmware.  But it works now, and I am a happy camper!

Symptoms

A Samsung LN-S4095DX is stretching a 1080p/1080i imaged and cutting off the edges.  The image displayed on the TV is 92% of the original imaged; stretched.

Solution

1. Get file (Save link as; rename usb_MOS2AUS0_1026.pdf to usb_MOS2AUS0_1026.exe
    usb_MOS2AUS0_1026
  2. Extract the files to a USB memory stick/jump drive.
  3. Insert the USB memory stick/jump drive into the TV’s service port.
  4. Turn on your TV
  5. Go into AIR or Cable mode by pushing the source button.
  6. Press: MUTE,  7,  8,  9, EXIT
  7. Sit back and watch the hilarious status messages. TOUCH NOTHING
  8. The TV will turn off by itself at the end.
  9. Turn on your TV
  10. JustScan will be available in the Picture menu, or by pressing the blue P.Size button.
Advertisements
  1. Shawn
    February 17, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Thanks! I was looking for this info. Samsung seems to enjoy keeping secrets.

2. Kazi
    January 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Thanks you very much. I spent forever searching for this.

3. Stephane D
    March 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I did the same as you 4+ years ago and recently we had a power outage which seems to be the culprit in our TV’s new 92% screen problem: the JUST SCAN feature still works, but when you switch input and come back to the same input (or turn the tv off and on), it resets to 92% and you have to cycle through to JUST SCAN to fix it. That wouldn’t be too bad in itself if it weren’t for the fact that it also resets after about 20 minutes. So if you’re watching a video on your pc, the screen will eventually do a short flicker and revert to the 92%. I’m wondering if there’s any kind of solutions, like perhaps doing a reset of the TV to factory settings and re-installing the firmware? I’ll try that when the family is done playing Wii U !!!

4. Stephane D
    March 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Update: re-installing the update did seem to correct the issue. I would cycle through the SOURCES and the screen stayed on JUST SCAN, however sometime later it reverted back to automatically setting itself back to the 92% screen after 20min or so. Annoying.

5. Stephane D
    February 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Funny my initial post should come up when searching for this problem again. I don’t remember what exactly stopped the tv from switching form Just Scan to 16:9 (the 92% image I mentioned previously), but for years it was fine and today it’s started up again.

My computer is hooked up to the TV via hdmi-to-hdmi cable, and after setting it to Just Scan (as it was for the past few years), it will revert to 16:9 after a while. I don’t have to cycle through the input sources, it’ll just do it on its own.

I’ll try again to re-install the latest firmware updates.

6. Troy
    October 29, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Thanks! I’ve had this TV for about 10 years and never realized I wasn’t seeing the entire screen. Now, 2 new things in a week. This worked out great.

• October 31, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Glad I was able to help!

7. keith
    April 20, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Hi,

Any chance you could upload this file again? It seems to be taken down and ive been trying to fix this overscan problem forever.

• April 21, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Looks like the link is working for me.

• keith
        April 22, 2017 at 12:20 AM

Thanks a lot for looking into. Ends up I’m stupid and thought that I was supposed to change the url not the extension on the pdf file. Thanks again, I really hope this works because the overscan is unbearable on some ps4 games and PC.

8. Lyn L
    May 28, 2017 at 9:08 PM

I was trying to install this today and every time I tried to perform the *mute* 7, 8, 9, exit combo, the TV would switch to “START, Start to update” and then never progress. Do you have any idea why this might have happened? Do you remember whether you put the extracted files directly onto a flash drive or into a folder named usb_MOS2AUS0_1026 or something? I’ve been trying to get this to work for hours and I’m drawing a blank.

• May 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM

There should not be any subfolders.

1. No trackbacks yet.